Brittany McBean (a Younique sales agent) contacted me and she wondered if I might like to try out this nifty mascara! I’ll be straight with you, I had heard of it before and just seen scary, spidery clumpy before and after lash pictures that made me want to steer clear of the stuff… but I like to try new things so I decided to give it a shot. I am SO glad I did! I found a method for applying the mascara that leaves them looking very natural, full, and long. NOT clumpy or spidery… I’ll go into my technique more below.
Younique Fiber Mascara is a two step mascara process where you apply a first coat of the “Transplanting Gel” and then apply the “Moodstruck Natural Fibers”, and then finish with another coat of the “Transplanting Gel” to seal in the fibers! Here are some before and after photos so you can see my results:
Some facts about the fiber mascara:
- Moodstruck 3D mascara is great for sensitive eyes, contact wearers, and people with allergies. It’s naturally based (fibers are 100% green tea leaves), and it has less than a third of the ingredients in regular mascara
- Younique is 100% cruelty free and the mascara is paraben free, carcinogen free, gluten free, and hypoallergenic
- It is completely water resistant, sweat and tear proof but washes off easily at night with soap and warm water
- The mascara is not sold in stores, you can only get it through a Younique representative like Brittany McBean (um cutest name right?!)
- Note: I can’t recommend Brittany more- she sent me her specific technique she uses in detail, before and after photos (natural looking ones!), tutorial videos (you can find those here and here), and included a note with the mascara that had the guidelines for how to use it listed out again! That was really helpful to keep in my bathroom with the mascara to reference the first few times I used it! She has been nothing but amazing to work with.
My fiber mascara application technique:
- Curl lashes!
- Apply a coat of your favorite mascara you already use. (I do one eye fully at a time, because you need to have everything “wet” as you’re applying it so it needs to be fairly quick between steps. )
- Apply a coat of the transplanting gel immediately after the coat of regular mascara.
- Apply the fibers immediately after the transplanting gel. Focus on the top half of the lashes, and brush up past the end of your lashes to get the most length. Wiggle the brush if you need to get more fibers on to the lashes.
- Apply a final coat of transplanting gel to seal in the fibers.
- Important final step!: Use a lash comb (this is the exact one I use) and separate those lashes! Comb them out and make sure they’re not clumpy and you get exactly the look you want. I find this step to be essential to making them look natural and long!
Notes: I have used the fibers on my bottom lashes, but it gets really dramatic looking very fast, so generally I do the fiber lashes on top and a coat of my regular mascara on the bottom lashes. I also know some people do two coats of the fibers (so layer of gel, then fibers, then layer of gel, then fibers, then another layer of gel). I have tried that only a couple of times and I find with that method it ends up looking pretty dramatic, so I will save that for more formal occasions.
See the tiny tiny fibers? I was worried they would get in my eyes, but if you only put the fibers on the top half of your lashes you’ll have NO problem. And make sure you seal with another coat of the gel and you’re good to go all day.
(For these photos I only did a tiny bit of liquid eyeliner on my top eyelid and a little eyeshadow, I wanted you to really be able to see the lashes.)
I’m to the point where if I don’t use the fiber mascara when I’m getting ready, I feel like my lashes are so sparse! It’s one of those things you use and then go, “What the heck was I doing before I used this?!” Don’t let the instructions scare you, it is really quick to apply, and it is SO worth the extra 2 minutes it probably takes over your old mascara routine.
Here’s the great news, Brittany and I are giving one lucky winner a Younique Moodstruck 3D fiber mascara for their very own! Giveaway is open to international readers as well as U.S. and Canada, and will end on Friday 2/13/15 at 11:59 PM.
For 1 entry (mandatory):
Head to Younique and take a look at some of the other products they have to offer, they don’t just make mascara (you can find more before and after photos and purchase the mascara for yourself there too)! Then come back here and leave a comment on this post letting me know what other products you might like to try.
For +1 entry:
Pin an image from this blog post and then leave a comment with the link to the pin!
For +1 entry:
Share this giveaway on Facebook or Twitter and then come back here and comment with the link to the post!
(Max 3 entries per person.)
A big thank you to Brittany for sponsoring this giveaway- and best of luck ladies! If you don’t want to wait for the giveaway, you can head here to buy the mascara for yourself.
Photos of me by Greg Deakins